Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Weather Breaks!

Finally, the weather breaks enough to allow me to start working outside and planting some seeds. Today I planted some seeds in the garden area outside the raised beds. I planted seeds for sweet corn, pumpkins, watermelon, and asparagus. Also, my sunflower seedlings were big enough to transplant, so those went in the center.  When I was finished, I sprinkled a hefty amount of Deer Away around the perimeter to hopefully keep them from eating what I have planted.

It doesn't look like much! Hopefully, one thing gardening will teach me is patience. Because I tend to be a little impatient at times and then get frustrated because nothing is happening.

I also started incorporating compost in the raised beds but ran out sooner that I thought. I will have to get about three more loads. Once all the compost is mixed in, I will start planting seeds in the raised beds. I also have some tomato seedlings ready to go. I'm still a little apprehensive about the frost, so I will probably wait until next week to start planting in the beds. I put the bird bath out as well as the bench and some other decorative items just to get things looking like I actually did something. I think I will add some potted flowers just so I can have a little color while I'm waiting for the seeds to sprout.

On a side note, the tulips bloomed nicely for the first year. And the deer have not touched them!

1 comment: